by: Sidonie Wybourn
This year was my first time at World MasterCard Fashion Week in Toronto and I got to hang out backstage where all the action was! Grace Lee (lead makeup artist from Maybelline Canada) was one busy lady that week: she created all the amazing beauty looks we saw on the runway while rocking some pretty flawless style herself. Grace was kind enough to walk me through the process so I could re-create the looks, and showed me how to use some of her favorite new products along the way. What I loved about all these looks was how little time they took to put together and how easy it was to combine different products to create different effects, so fun!
1. Fit Me Stick Foundation – part foundation part powder in an easy to use stick format. Tip: use a darker shade for easy contouring! (read Monica's review)
2. The Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara – this intense mascara makes lashes look thicker and is the perfect finish for a smoky shadow style. Tip: a little goes a long way!
3. Color Tattoo Pure Pigments 24h Shadow – bright shimmering colour in 12 great shades. Tip: combine a little pigment with clear Baby Lips balm to highlight cheeks!
4. Color Elixir by Color Sensational – love this NEW non-sticky lip gloss for a pop of colour that stays on all day but feels like lip balm. Tip: layer on top of your favorite Color Sensational lipstick for a fun different shade!
5. And coming soon in 2014 - Master Glaze Blush Sticks and Dream Wonder Powder – will be all over these once they are out in stores!
The Best Looks:
Rudsak – Grace envisioned a young Kate Moss – the ultimate cool girl. She used Fit Me Stick Foundation as a matte base and Master Shape Brow Pencil with clear Great Lash Mascara for defined brows. No color on the lid, Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara and Barely Brazen Color Tattoo Pigment on the inner corner of the eye. Baby lips was mixed with the same pigment and combined with Master Glaze Blush on the cheeks, and for the lips Color Elixir in Caramel Infused to finish.
Target – Grace was inspired by model Erin Wasson to create this effortless but edgy girl next door look. She started with Color Show Liner in Scorching Brown pressed on the eyelid and added a lighter Color Tattoo Pigment in the middle finishing with two coats of Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara. Foundation was put on with a beauty blender and a brush was used to apply and blend concealer. The new Dream Wonder powder brought everything together and then Grace added color with a Master Glaze Blush Stick, blending it with her fingers. She created her signature glow using Baby Lips and Barely Brazen Color Tattoo Pigment, filled in the brows using Master Shape Brow pencil and ended with the new Color Elixir on the lips.
Matthew Gallagher – Grace wanted a look that was soft and beautiful but not overdone. She used Fit Me Stick Foundation on the t-zone to keep it matte and created a dewy base for the cheeks with – what else? – Baby Lips mixed with Barely Brazen Colour Tattoo Pigment! She used this same technique on the model’s eyes but switched Pigment shades to Breaking Bronze, and then contoured with a basic brown eye shadow. Master Precise Ink Pen Eye Liner intensified the look with Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara on top. The brows were brushed and nicely groomed. To finish it off, she used Color Whisper lipstick in Pin Up Peach on the lips and then added some more color to the cheeks by mixing the lipstick with a Master Glaze Blush Stick.
Which trend is your favourite?