First, I suggest two bags: one for mom-to-be and one for baby. Keeping items separately keeps everything easier to find.
Don't count on the hospital to provide items. A few staples of course are available but for the most part bring the basics:
- diapers (atleast 10 per day)-with a c section I was in the hospital for 48 hours
- diaper cream
- baby wash
- nail clippers
- nose aspirator (not necessary but our little one was a little congested)
- newborn outfits (of course we never can predict the size of our little one, most items were too big) include: take home outfit, (2) sleepers, (2) onesies, hand mitts
- receiving blankets or swaddle blankets (i.e swaddle me)
- car seat blanket
- notebook: good idea to write feedings down & diaper changes, etc...
- bib & burp pad
- camera & batteries
- cell phone & charger
- car seat
Check with your hospital prior to find out what they provide. And don't stress ask family or friends to bring items you forgot. Enjoy your little one!